UPnP, abbreviation for Universal Plug and Play is a set of networking protocols which allow the discovery of UPnP networked devices including computers, printers, mobile devices, internet gateways etc. in a common networking environment. Only WindowsMe and XP provide UPnP on their networks. Functional network services can be established for the purpose of data sharing, communications, as well as entertainment. However, if you are not interested to use UPnP, it can be disabled on the router. Here’s how to do it in a few simple steps:
- The first step is to type the IP address of the wireless router in the address bar in the web browser. (default: 192.168.0.1) and click Enter.
- Proceed further by entering the default username which is admin. The password column will have to be left blank. After this, press OK.
- Open the ADVANCED tab and choose ADVANCED NETWORK to continue.
- Look for the heading UPNP and click on Enable UPnP.
- Lastly, don’t forget to click Save Settings.